Kathirikkai Puli kuzhambu:
kathirikkai kuzhambu is an authentic South Indian dish made with eggplant and garlic cooked in a spicy tamarind curry..! Traditionally served with plain white rice..! Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu is different from Kathirikkai Kuzhambu..!
Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu is made with fried eggplants cooked in a spicy gravy which is very oily and not healthy..!
Kathirikkai Kuzhambu is very simple recipe made with less oil and healthy..! you have to try both the recipes because both are very good in taste..! hope you liked it..! Enjoy..!
2 Medium Size Onions (Peel and Chop them roughly)
1 Medium Size Tomato (Cut into half and chopped roughly)
4 Green Chilies / to taste (Chopped Straight)
12 Garlic Cloves
Curry Leaves 1 String
1 Golf Size Tamarind Soaked in Water
Eggplant 4/6 (Wash and chop them straight and soak it in the water and keep it aside)
2 tsp. Sesame Oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp. Urad Dal (Split Black Gram Skinless)
½ tsp. Fenugreek Seeds
1 tsp. Caraway Seeds
2 Red Dry Chilies (Whole)
Pinch of Asafetida Powder and Turmeric Powder
Handful Chopped Onion
Half of the Chopped Tomato
1 tsp. Red Chili Powder/ to taste
1 tsp. Fennel Seeds
1 and ½ tbs. Coriander Powder
½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
¼ Cup Shredded Coconut
Grind them until fine and smooth and keep it aside.
- In the cooking pan, add oil followed by all the seasoning items and once the mustard seeds start popping vigorously, it’s time to add chopped garlic, green chilies and curry leaves
- Then add pinch add asafetida powder and Turmeric Powder.
- Then add chopped onion and salt; cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add chopped tomato and mix well; cook until tomato is smooth and soft.
- Then add ground paste and mix well; add required water.
- Cover the pan with lid and give it to a gentle boil.
- Then add chopped eggplant.
- Add Tamarind juice and salt and let it cook completely.
- Once it is done, turnoff the heat.
- Check the consistency of the gravy; if needed add required water.
- Serve with plain white rice and Enjoy..!
- You can also use okra/ ladies’ finger instead of eggplant to make okra gravy.
- To make chickpeas curry add cooked chickpeas into the eggplant curry (season the chickpeas with salt while cooking).
- You can also add chopped potatoes to eggplant/okra gravy.
Video Recipe for Kathirikkai Puli Kuzhambu(Tamil with English Subtitle):