Rava Kichadi :
Kichadi is a common South Indian breakfast dish, cooked from dry roasted Semolina and Semiya. Various seasonings and/or vegetables are often added during the cooking, depending on individual preferences.
2 tsp Ghee / Oil
2 Cups Semiya
1 Cup Rava / Suji
2 tsp. Oil
1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
½ tsp. Urad Dal
1 tsp. Fennel Seeds
1 Bay Leaves
2 Red Chilies
2 Green Chilies
Few Curry Leaves
1 Medium Size Onion Finely Chopped
1 Medium Size Tomato Finely Chopped (if the tomato is big, ½ is enough)
2 Cloves of Garlic Minced Finely
- In a Cooking pan, add 1 tsp. of ghee/oil and start roasting the semiya until golden brown; keep it aside.
- Then again add 1 tsp. of ghee/oil in the same pan and start roasting the rava/suji until nice golden brown; keep it aside.
- Then in the same pan add 2 tsp of oil, followed by mustard seeds, urad dal, fennel seeds, bay leaves, curry leaves, red and green chilies and drop chopped onion and garlic.
- Once the onion and garlic is cooked add the chopped tomato; cook until it turns into smooth.
- Then add the chopped beans, carrot and peas (you can use frozen peas as well).
- Once the veggies are half cooked; add 3 cups of water; turn the heat to high.
- Once the water starts boiling; turn the heat to medium low.
- Then add the roasted semolina (rawa/suji/sooji/ravai) and semiya.
- Be careful while adding rava and semiya, add and whisk at the same time.
- Then cover the pan with lid and let it sit for about 10 to 15 min.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and Enjoy .
Rava Kichadi Video Recipe in English:
Rava Kichadi Video Recipe in Tamil: