Home-style Chicken Dum Biryani:
Less Effort; Great Taste Dum Biryani is very popular in Hyderabad..! Usually called Hyderabad dum biryani..! There are so many methods to put dum..! Here i used one simple method to cook dum biryani at home..!
3 Chicken Leg Pieces
1 Cup Thick Plain Yogurt
1 tsp. Red Chili Powder/ To Tastec
2 tsp. Coriander Powder
½ Tsp. Cumin Powder
½ tsp. Garam Masala Powder
½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
1 Medium Size Red Onion Chopped Straight
½ Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro
½ Cup Finely Chopped Mint Leaves
2 tbs. Oil
Whole Garam Masala (Items included: 6 Cloves, 2 Cardamom, 2 Cinnamon Sticks, 2 Bay Leaves, 2 star anise (annachi poo or natcattira sombu); 4 Black Stone Flower (Kalpasi))
1 and ½ tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
To Cook Rice:
Add the basmati rice into the boiling water along with 1 tsp. of oil, 1tsp.cumin seeds and salt (add salt into the boiling water and check the salt by tasting it). Cook the rice for 8 minutes and then drain it and transfer it into the plate, so that the rice will cool completely. Keep it aside.
To Marinate Chicken:
- In a mixing bowl, add chicken followed by red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well and keep refrigerate overnight.
Items Needed For dum:
- Take 2 tsp of milk; add a pinch of saffron and microwave for 20 secs and keep it aside.
- 2 tsp. Garam masala powder.
- Chopped Cilantro/Coriander Leaves.
- 2 tsp. Lemon Juice.
- In a frying pan, add oil followed by whole garam masala items and chopped mint leaves; fry for few minutes.
- Then add the chopped onions and fry until it turns into nice golden brown; then add the ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Then add the marinated chicken into it and add 1 cup water and cook the chicken until the oil oozes out.
- Then add the cooked basmati rice, add chopped cilantro or coriander leaves on top of it, then add the garam masala powder; pour the saffron milk and lemon juice evenly.
- Put the dum by covering the pan with wet cloth and lid.
- Leaves it in a low heat for about 40 minutes.
- Once done; serve Hot and Enjoy.
* Use Non-stick pan for better result.
* Use the same method to make vegetable dum biryani/ mutton biryani.
Video Recipe for Chicken-Dum Biryani in English:
Video Recipe for Chicken-Dum Biryani in Tamil: