Mint Thokku / Pudina Thokku:
Thokku is halfway between a thogayal and a pickle. It has a longer shelf life like a pickle and there is no coconut used in this recipe. Just like in a thogayal/thuvayal, chopped/grated vegetables are blended to a paste with spices, but without adding water. The water content in the vegetables are also reduced by slow cooking. This helps in preserving the thokku and giving it a longer shelf life. The thokku can be kept out of the refrigerator for a week after it is made and after that for over a month in the refrigerator.
Thokku can be used as a dip, spread, or a pickle. You can eat it with idli, dosa, chapathi, bread and curd rice or eat it mixed with hot rice and ghee. Almost all vegetables without too much water content can be turned into “thokku”. Mint/Pudina Thokku is one of my most favorite Thokku.
2 Bunch of Mint Leaves / Pudina
½ Cup Curry Leaves
1 Bunch Coriander Leaves
2 Medium Size White Or Red Onion (Roughly Chopped)
1 Medium Size Tomato (Roughly Chopped)
8 Garlic Cloves
10 Dry Red Chilies
- In a frying pan, add oil followed by chopped onion, garlic, red chilies and tomato.
- Then add all the washed and cleaned curry, coriander and mint leaves.
- Once the onion is cooked, turn off the heat and let it cool down completely.
- Then transfer the mixture into the blender and grind them fine and smooth (don not add water).
- Then in a frying pan, add ¼ cup sesame oil followed by mustard seeds, curry leaves and pour the ground paste into it.
- Please, do not add even little water, because it may take more time to get a pickle structure.
- Stir the mixture until it stops boiling completely (it may take about 40 minutes, if you add water then it will take more than 2 hours).
- Then mix them with the spatula, if it drops down without sticking on the spatula, then it’s done.
- The structure of thokku is more are like similar to halwa structure.
- Let it cool down completely before transfer them into storage container.
- Pudina/ Mint Thokku is tasty side dish for idli and dosa.
Remember, Do not add water:).