Healthy Spinach Dal:
Spinach dal is very simple and healthy recipe; perfect side dish for chapathi and rice;
2 cup Spinach
1 Cup Green Gram (Skinless and splited)
3 to 4 Green Chilies
1 Medium Size Onion Finely Chopped
1 and ½ tsp. Coriander Powder
1 tsp. Red chili Powder
½ tsp. Garam Masala Powder
½ tsp. Cumin Powder
Few Curry Leaves
1 tsp. Cumin Seeds
1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
½ tsp. Asafetida
2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
2 Dried Red Chilies
½ tsp. Tamarind Paste
½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
1 tbs. Oil
Salt to Taste
- First in a Presser Cooker; add the green gram, half of asafetida, 3 green chilies, minced garlic and presser cook until the first whistle and keep it aside.
- Then, in a frying pan; add oil followed by mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, curry leaves and red chilies.
- Then add the chopped onion; once the onion is half cooked add the turmeric powder and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then add the cooked dal into the onion mixture followed by all the masalas (ie.,. coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder) and mix well.
- Then add the spinach and cover the pan with lid; then after 2 minutes, open the lid and mix it very well.
- Then add the tamarind paste and let it simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with any chapathi or rice.
- You also can add tomato; it will gives you different flavor.
- Instead of tamarind, we can also use lemon or lime juice.
- If you want; You can use ghee instead of oil.