Idli Podi/ Healthy Masala Powder (Podi):
Perfect side dish for Idlis… I used sesame seeds, flax seeds, horse gram and etc. to make this powder…! It’s not only healthy and also very taste to eat; kids will definitely like it.
1 cup White Lentils (Ulutham Paruppu/ Urad Dal)
1 cup Horse Gram (Kollu/ kulathi)
1 cup Flax Seed (Aali vithai/ Alasi (tisi))
½ cup Raw Split Peas (Kadalai Paruppu/Chana Dal)
½ cup Sesame Seed (Ellu/ Tila ke bija)
12 Red Chilies (Milakaaivatral (Sivapu Milakaai)/ Lala Mirca)
1 cup Curry Leaves (karuvaepilai/ Kari Patte)
1 cup Mint Leaves (Pudhinaa/ Takasala Patte)
1 cup Coriander Leaves (Kothamalli Yilai/ Dhaniya Patte)
1 tbs. Asafoetida (Perungayam/ Hing)
½ tbs. Garlic Powder (Poondu/ Lahasuna)
1 tbs. Salt
- Roast the curry leaves, mint leaves, coriander leaves and red chilies separately and transfer into the large plate.
- Then start roasting all the grains (horse gram, white lentils, split peas, sesame seeds, flax seeds) one by one for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Let it (roasted items) cool for 10 minutes and then transfer all the items into the blender; add salt and asafetida; grind them finely.
- Before transfer to bottle container, let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Server this along with 1 tsp. sesame oil/ ghee; good side dish for idli and dosa.
If you are pregnant; then just skip the sesame seeds (My Mom used to say this and so am following it ).